Seventy Favorite Books From Ten of Kellee’s 2016-17 Middle School Students
From Lucas B., 7th Grade
1. The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Giver is one of the best books I have read because of the character Jonas and how he handles his problems. This book definitely tops my list.
2. Legend series by Marie Lu
The Legend series was one of my favorites series because of the action that takes place in the book
3. The Compound by S.A. Bodeen
The Compound is one not to forget! The mystery of what happened to the characters and what they had to experience being locked up for years and not being able to get out.
4. The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
This book was one of my favorites though it was a sad book. But it was victorious in the end!
5. Fish in a Tree by Linda Mullaly Hunt
It shows that anybody can be anything. The main character has dyslexia, so she thinks she can’t do anything but a teacher influences her to do great things and she does!
6. The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe
This is book is an exciting book that I will never forget. This book made me feel emotional because of the things that they were going through.
7. Trapped by Michael Northrop
This book is amazing with the pressure of just a few people turned them all upside down and they have to try to figure a way to get out of the mess they’re in.
8. Nine, Ten by Nora Raskin Baleigh
This book is a favorite because it put my heart in an emotional state, and it really hit home for me.
9. Wig in the Window by Kristen Kittscher
This is one of my favorite books because the genre is mystery, and the book is just action-packed and filled with adventures.
10. Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby
I loved reading this book in class. It was very emotional and made me think a lot.
From Jayden R., 6th grade
1. Divergent by Veronica Roth
There is a weird society that has lots of action in this dystopian world.
2. Scorch Trials by James Dashner
There is a lot of action and a little bit of mystery.
3. The Lightning Thief by Percy Jackson
The first Riordan book I read that made me want to read all of his books.
4. Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass
A huge mystery is in this book and it has a cool ending.
5. Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby
This is a sad and emotional book.
6. Legend by Marie Lu
There is action, a mystery, and some sad parts.
7. Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
This book is very sad and interesting.
8. Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan
I like this book because it is different from Riordan’s other books because it is in the POV of a god.
9. Lost Heroes by Rick Riordan
Lots of action, and there are some plot twists.
10. The Hunger Game series by Suzanne Collins
So much action!
From Ethan F. (1-5) & Omar B. (6-10), 6th Grade
1. The Living by Matt de la Peña
This book is my all-time favorite with so many twists and turns! It’s great!
2. Framed by James Ponti
This is a great crime book. It leads you one way and takes you the other way.
3. Turn Left at the Cow by Lisa Bullard
I am a big crime fan, and this is another good one.
4. 23 Minutes by Vivian Vande Velde
This book is another crime book, and it messes with you.
5. Masterminds by Gordon Korman
This book is amazing, and it also messes with your mind.
6. The Terrible Two by Jory John & Mac Barnett
I like this book because it was funny, and it showed how anyone can be friends.
7. Kimchi and Calamari by Rose Kent
I like this book because it was really dramatic.
8. Wonder by RJ Palacio
I liked this book because it is about a kid working to to make friends.
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
I like this book because it is funny how Greg does things.
10. Last Kids on Earth by Max Brallier
I like this book because it was funny.
From Varun J. (1-5) & Yassine M. (6-10), 6th Grade
1. Legend by Marie Lu
It is an action-packed adventure.
2. Warcross by Marie Lu
This book reveals something really unexpected.
3. The Young Elites by Marie Lu
This series messes with your mind.
4. Variant by Robison Wells
Very intense book.
5. Masterminds by Gordon Korman
This series is a shocking piece of mystery writing.
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
It is a humorous piece of writing.
7. Kimchi and Calamari by Rose Kent
A very intense story.
8. Dog Man by Dav Pilkey
So funny and well-thought out.
9. Poptropica by Jack Chabert
This story is a really funny adventure.
10. Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
A really intense book!
From Celina R., 6th Grade
1. Wonder by RJ Palacio
This is my favorite book because it touches on an important lesson about a boy in the world where looks do matter for people, so Augie, the boy, has to overcome the whispers when he enters for the first time into school.
2. Stones on a Grave by Kathy Kacer
This is one of my favorite books because it talks about a girl, Sara, who is an orphan and tries to go to Germany to find information about her father and mother, only to find out something devastating.
3. Fish in a Tree by Linda Mullaly Hunt
This talks about Ally, a girl who has a hard time in school who meets a new teacher that discovers her way of learning may just be different from other kids, and he helps her through the ups and downs of kids in her school.
4. Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby
This book is on my list since it is an encouraging book that teaches people to over come obstacles. Joey, the main character, meets a chimp and her owner, and together they try to be free of Joey’s mom’s strict rules.
5. Serafina’s Promise by Ann E. Burg
This book is one of my favorites since it talks about a girl going through poverty and a family, who along the way, teaches Serafina to have a heart of gold no matter what.
6. Augie and Me by RJ Palacio
This book is a sequel to Wonder, and it talks about the kids and their viewpoints on Augie. This book explains why and how they act the way they do towards Augie.
7. nine, ten by Nora Raleigh Baskin
This book talks about four kids and their story about the day before and right after 9/11. It talks about how the day looked and how their parents were close to a horrible tragedy.
8. Juniper Berry by MP Kozlowsky
This book talks about a girl and how her parents became instantly famous and how she finds a boy who she instantly becomes friends with, and they try to figure out the mystery on why her parents stop paying attention to them.
9. Death of a Kleptomaniac by Kristen Tracy
This book is about a girl who had everything but gave it up after she was caught stealing.
10. Towers Falling by Jewell Parker Rhodes
This book talks about a girl who’s father won’t let her listen when the teacher talks about 9/11 because of a secret he is hiding from them.
From Bryson P., 8th Grade
1. Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Lots of action and Greek mythology.
2. Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman
Full of action and mysterious.
3. Ghost by Jason Reynolds
Overall a well written and good book.
4. Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper
Very well written and addicting.
5. Wonder by RJ Palacio
A very good book! Similar to Out of My Mind.
6. Scythe by Neal Shusterman
Interesting and is hard to put down.
7. Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi
Great graphic novel series that is well written and illustrated.
8. The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry
Fun to read and is funny.
9. Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Good overall series; well put together.
10. Endangered by Eliot Schrefer
Great book about apes, and is hard to put down!
From Cristhel G. & Seif A., 8th Grade
1. The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
It is a stunning and heartbreaking story.
2. The Sweet Evil series by Wendy Higgins
It is an amazing and eye-opening series.
3. The Breathing series by Rebecca Donovan
It will make you cry from page 1!
4. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
A wonderful series full of adventure.
5. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
A sad love story that will make you cry.
6. The Hush Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick
A magical, beautiful story.
7. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A heart-wrenching story that will be guaranteed to make you cry.
8. Out of my Mind by Sharon Draper
An unexpected story about a girl just trying to be normal.
9. April Henry books
Amazing, suspenseful, and mysterious books.
10. All Fall Down series by Ally Carter
Adventurous yet sad and amazing with cliffhangers.
Thank you Lucas, Jayden, Ethan, Omar, Varun, Yassine, Celina, Bryson, Cristhel, and Seif!