Penguin Young Readers has launched an app based around their Who Was/Is… series, and it is everything I wanted it to be and more! The app includes two options: Adventure and Arcade. In the Adventure, you go from famous person to famous person learning about their life then being challenged to choose the correct face when given a fact. The Arcade feature is the same idea just without the trail and achievements. I can see this app being a hit at home and at school!
WHO WAS? ADVENTURE is based on Grosset & Dunlap’s wildly popular Who Was…? series, which features cultural icons from throughout history and today,crossing race, religion, ethnicity, gender, and field of achievement. With over 20 million Who Was…? books in print, 125 different titles, and 46 new releases in the Who Was…? line and its spin-offs, What Was…? and Where Is…?, planned for 2015, it is the leading biography series for young readers in the market today.
The app is the perfect challenge for children—even their parents!—to test their knowledge of some of history’s most fascinating figures. With gameplay based on classic arcade favorites,players must answer questions about everyone from Albert Einstein to Frida Kahlo to Stan Lee as their pictures fall from above. With time limits, obstructions, power-ups, and more, the game can be played in Adventure mode, with nearly 10 hours of continuous game play, or in Arcade mode, where kids can invite friends and classmates to compete against each other for endless trivia fun.Priced at only $1.99, this 100% child-safe, COPPA compliant app features:
- 4,500+ questions taken from the books to put your knowledge to the test—more than some of your favorite classic trivia games.
- 85 levels of Adventure mode; complete the tasks and collect rewards as you play. Endless play in Arcade mode; try to beat your family and friends’ high scores!
- Power-ups to improve your score and help you beat levels.
- Learn before you play: timelines and facts from the books at the start of each level.
- Beautiful, fun design, music, and sound effects.
- Premium game with no ads, in-app purchases, or external links.