It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!
It’s Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys. It is a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It’s also a great chance to see what others are reading right now…you just might discover the next “must-read” book!
Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join us! We love this meme and think you will, too.
We encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting at least three of the other book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.
Last Week’s Posts
Top Ten Tuesday: Books On Our Spring TBR Lists
**Click on any picture to view the post**
Last Week’s Journeys
Kellee: I was able to finish Robyn Schneider’s novel The Beginning of Everything this week (YAY!!). I had started it before Trent was born, but hadn’t been able to find time or brain power to truly read until this last week when I made sure to fit reading into my schedule. I think that my brain NEEDS reading or I really start to feel like I am dragging. After finishing, The Beginning of Everything, I started Bruised by Sarah Skilton. It is quite an interesting read so far. The verdict is still out if I like it or not.
On top of the novels, I also continued by picture book #bookaday with Trent. This week we read:
- Baby Loves to Rock by Wednesday Kirwan
- Rockin’ Babies by Jenn Berman
- Rocker Babies Wear Jeans by Michelle Sinclair Colman
- (Like I promised, I read some rocker books that were given to me by my friend Jill this week. I really liked them all. They are obviously written to be funny for the parents reading them as well as for the kids. I think I liked Baby Loves to Rock the best.)
- Hello Baby! by Mem Fox (This book was so kindly given to me by my friend JoEllen. I’m so glad this is the book she decided to share with Trent. Neither he or I had read any Mem Fox before, and I was so happy to finally get to read one of her books. This one is illustrated by Steve Jenkins and I really enjoy his artwork. Overall, exactly as wonderful as everyone says.)
- David Smells! by David Shannon (My friend Cristen and her daughter Lucinda love David books, and I am so glad that she shared him with me. I like that this book taught a bit of a lesson, but also was quite entertaining.)
- The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss (Like Ricki, this book was longer than I remembered and Trent actually didn’t make it through. It is such a classic, and I can see why. Great rhyme, rhythm, story, and theme.)
- I Love You Because You’re You by Liza Baker (SO SWEET! I love reading books like this to Trent.)
Ricki: I had a great reading week! I finished Threatened by Eliot Schrefer. It was fantastic. I will be reviewing it this Thursday! I also read several great children’s books. I loved Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox. It was so good that I plan to order it to have in Henry’s library. I want to read it over and over again! I also read Mem Fox’s Where the Giant Sleeps. I thought the story was okay, but I really loved the illustrations the most. They are beautiful. Last week, I discovered Anna Dewdney’s Llama Llama series, as well. I am not a children’s book expert, but I am learning! (I know much, much more about YAL as a field.) I read Llama Llama Misses Mama, and my husband read Llama Llama Red Pajama. I enjoyed the humor of Alan Sitomer’s Daddies Do It Different Sunday night, and closed the night off with Sandra Boynton’s Snuggle Puppy. Thank you all for your recommendations. Henry and I are having a great time with these books and authors you are recommending!
(Kellee: I LOVE seeing you discover great picture books Ricki! Llama Llama is one of my favorite series and I, too, discovered Mem Fox this week. I love that we are on this adventure together!)
This Week’s Expeditions
Kellee: I plan on finished Bruised and start Wild Awake by Hilary Smith. As for our picture books, I am not sure what we are going to explore this week. It’ll depend on what I am feeling like each day although I do have a pile of picture books from Candlewick that are taunting me!
Ricki: I am still reading Life in Schools by Peter McLaren. I will tell more about this when I have read more than 50 pages. 🙂 I am also still reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis to Henry. I can’t decide which YAL book is next, but like most of you (I am sure), I have a few galleys that are calling my name…
Upcoming Week’s Posts
Top Ten Tuesday: Our Bookish Bucket List
So, what are you reading?
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!