It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Sharing Picture Books, Early Readers, Middle Grade Books, and Young Adult Books for All Ages!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly blog hop co-hosted by Unleashing Readers and Teach Mentor Texts which focuses on sharing books marketed for children and young adults. It offers opportunities to share and recommend books with each other.
We encourage you to write your own post sharing what you’re reading, link up below, leave a comment, and support other IMWAYR bloggers by visiting and commenting on at least three of the other linked blogs.
Sunday: Author Guest Post: “Opening the Door: How Stepping Inside the Poem can Help Your Students — even those who hate writing — Read, Understand, Create, and Enjoy Poetry” by Marjorie Maddox, Author of Inside Out: Poems on Writing & Reading Poems
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
- Sara and the Search for Normal by Wesley King: “Sara wants one thing: to be normal. What she has instead are multiple diagnoses from Dr. Ring. Sara’s constant battle with False Alarm—what she calls panic attacks—and other episodes cause her to isolate herself. She rarely speaks, especially not at school, and so she doesn’t have any friends. But when she starts group therapy she meets someone new. Talkative and outgoing Erin doesn’t believe in “normal,” and Sara finds herself in unfamiliar territory: at the movies, at a birthday party, and with someone to tell about her crush—in short, with a friend. But there’s more to Erin than her cheerful exterior, and Sara begins to wonder if helping Erin will mean sacrificing their friendship.”
- Once Upon a Space-Time by Jeffrey Brown: In the future we learn we are not alone and everything changes. The alien technology changes our world and so much is now possible. Our main characters are kids at an institute just for space exploration, but they are the misfits of the school. But that doesn’t stop them! Told in Brown’s funny fashion, this sci-fi graphic novel is going to be a huge hit with students!
- Turtle Boy by M. Evan Wolkenstein: “Seventh grade is not going well for Will Levine. Kids at school bully him because of his funny-looking chin. His science teacher finds out about the turtles he spent his summer collecting from the marsh behind school and orders him to release them back into the wild. And for his bar mitzvah community service project, he has to go to the hospital to visit RJ, an older boy struggling with an incurable disease. Unfortunately, Will hates hospitals.”
- Lumberjanes Vol. 5 & 6: I love so much about this series–the mix of a normal teen idenity story mixed with great friends and major craziness in a forest and mythology = some awesome graphic novels.
- Yoga Animals and The Refuge will both be reviewed this week — don’t miss them!
- With Trent:
- The Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom: What a beautiful book! And so important–it is one that I would share with students ASAP. The conversation I had with my 6-year-old alone shows the impact the book has.
- We continue to watch Mac Barnett’s Book Club Show Book Club each day. Since he made it through all of his own picture books, he is sharing some of his favorites, and we both are enjoying them! I particularly like that they are, so far, all lesser known to me books:
- This week: The Three Robbers by Tomi Ungerer, The Quiet Noisy Book by Margaret Wise Brown, Shortcut by Donald Crews, and It’s a Secret by John Burningham.
- This week Mac also finally got the one book we missed the first time around: The Skunk. So that means that Trent has now read all of Mac Barnett’s picture books.
It is my first time hanging out with my husband all week (where we are both not working at night), so I think I am going to pause and share next week if that is okay with you all 🙂
- Currently Reading: The Brave by James Bird
- Currently Listening (and it is taking so long since I’m not driving anywhere!): Tornado Brain by Cat Patrick
- Reading with Trent for one of his book clubs: Rosie Revere and the Raucous Riveters by Andrea Beaty
- Reading with Trent for one of his book clubs (following along while watching Mac Barnett’s Book Club Show Chapter Books After Dark): Mac B. Kid Spy: Mac Undercover by Mac Barnett
- Trent reads each Monday with Henry: Elephant and Piggie books by Mac Barnett
Tuesday: The Refuge by Sandra le Guen, Illustrated by Stéphane Nicolet
Thursday: Yoga Animals: A Wild Introduction to Kid-Friendly Poses by Paige Towler
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!