It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Sharing Picture Books, Early Readers, Middle Grade Books, and Young Adult Books for All Ages!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly blog hop co-hosted by Unleashing Readers and Teach Mentor Texts which focuses on sharing books marketed for children and young adults. It offers opportunities to share and recommend books with each other.
We encourage you to write your own post sharing what you’re reading, link up below, leave a comment, and support other IMWAYR bloggers by visiting and commenting on at least three of the other linked blogs.
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
- Another week of reading primarily Mac Barnett, Oliver Jeffers, Mo Willems, and Greg Pizzoli. This week, we had Beekle thrown in because Dan Santat visited Mo Willems’s lunch doodles on the one we watched last week, and we love Beekle. Also, Mac Barnett read Mister Dog by Margaret Wise Brown after reading his book about her. Lastly, we also got to attend a virtual story time by our library, and they read Gorgonzola.
- Reading Once Upon an Alphabet by Oliver Jeffers again reminded me how much I love it. If you have not read it, I highly recommend it!
- What Stars Are Made Of by Sarah Allen: “Twelve-year-old Libby Monroe is great at science, being optimistic, and talking to her famous, accomplished friends (okay, maybe that last one is only in her head). She’s not great at playing piano, sitting still, or figuring out how to say the right thing at the right time in real life. Libby was born with Turner Syndrome, and that makes some things hard. But she has lots of people who love her, and that makes her pretty lucky.”
- The Space Between Lost and Found by Sandy Stark-McGinnis: “Cassie’s always looked up to her mom, a vivacious woman with big ideas and a mischievous smile. Together they planned to check off every item on a big-dream bucket list, no matter how far the adventure would take them. But then Mom was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, and everything changed. Now, Cassie tries to keep Mom happy, and to understand some of Dad’s restrictive new rules. She tries to focus on math lessons and struggles to come up with art ideas that used to just burst off her pen. When Mom’s memories started to fade, so did Cassie’s inspiration. And even worse, she’s accidentally pushed away Bailey, the one friend who could make it all okay.”
My middle son is still quite fond of board books even though he is three. I think it is because he likes pocket-sized things. We read this book, What Can a Crane Pick Up? by Rebecca Kai Dotlich for the first time this week, and I was quite fond of it. I can see why it received a starred review. It is the perfect balance of silly and informational.
This was another board book I found to be quite charming. A Unicorn Named Sparkle’s First Christmas by Amy Young teaches kids that gifts and material things are less significant than love. I liked the message a lot.
These two were the titles my kids and I enjoyed most this week. 🙂
- Reading: Show Me a Sign by Ann Clare LeZotte
- Listening: Abby in Oz by Sarah Mlynowski
- Reading with Trent: The Bad Guys: Attack of the Zittens by Aaron Blabey (Chapters 4-6 this week)
- Listening with Trent: Unicorn Rescue Society: The Creature of the Pines by Adam Gidwitz (Chapters 5-10 this week)
- And we’ll continue to go to Mac Barnett’s Mac’s Book Club Show Book Club, Oliver Jeffer’s Stuck at Home Book Club, and Greg Pizzoli’s Standby Book Club.
- Also, on Tuesday we’ll be joining Kobi Yamada, author of the What Do You Do With…? as he does a reading through a live Zoom call on Tuesday, April 21 at 1 p.m. PST/ 4 p.m. EST. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/
live-reading-of-what-do-you- do-with-an-idea-with-author- kobi-yamada-tickets- 101653079096
- Virtual Book Club #1 (6yo child): The Bad Guys: Attack of the Zittens by Aaron Blabey (Chapters 4-6 this week).
- Virtual Book Club #2 (6yo child): Unicorn Rescue Society: The Creature of the Pines by Adam Gidwitz (Chapters 5-10 this week).
- Virtual Book Club #3 (3yo child): Juana and Lucas by Juana Medina (Chapter 6 this week).
- Illustrated Harry Potter Book 2 with 6yo
- Goodnight Moon for the 483rd time with 11mo
- Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay (all for me!)
Tuesday: Online Tools Recommended for Digital Teaching
Thursday: Everywhere Book Fest
Sunday: Author Guest Post: “Anatomy of a Middle Grade Manuscript” by Laurie Smollett Kutscera
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!