It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!
It’s Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journeys and now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. It is a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It’s also a great chance to see what others are reading right now…you just might discover the next “must-read” book!
Kellee and Jen, of Teach Mentor Texts, decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join us! We love this meme and think you will, too.
We encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting at least three of the other book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.
Last Week’s Posts
Congratulations to Jeff S. for winning the giveaway!!!!
Giveaway open until Friday!
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
Last Week’s Journeys
I focused on graphic novels this week because I was so excited to read so many, and I was able to read four of them:
- I love the Star Leagues series by Mike Lawrence! It is so full of girl power and team work and aliens and sci fi and wonderful adventures! And book two, League of Lasers, does a great job continuing the story.
- The first Cucumber Quest by Gigi D.G. book was such a hit in my classroom, when I heard that the next three were coming out quite quickly, I knew I had to get to them, and thanks to Netgalley I was able to read the third one early. Each GN takes the hero through a new kingdom and a new monster.
- Kitten Construction Company by John Patrick Green seems like just a cute story on the surface and it may be, but I really think that it is a social justice book in its own way looking at people who are looked at as not equal no matter how qualified they are.
I also finished two audiobooks this week because they were just SO good!
- I loved the new Upside Down Magic book! Dragon Overnight takes the Upside Down Magic kids to sleepover camp at a Dragon rehab center. And obviously things happened that are hilarious and thought-provoking.
- The first Unicorn Rescue Society book, Creature of the Pines, by Adam Gidwitz is so special–it is funny and smart and thoughtful and mythical and everything! And the audio was superb! It is a must get.
Trent and I read quite a few new-to-us book this week!
- What This Story Needs is a Pig in a Wig by Emma J. Virjan is such a fun rhyming book. Trent is just learning how rhyming works, so this was a perfect book for him.
- Little Penguins by Cynthia Rylant is a cute story but it is made by Christian Robinson’s artwork. But I love anything with penguins, so it made me happy!
- Blue Umbrella from Pixar and Coco from Disney were two audiobooks that we listened to on our way to school this week. Both were good representations of their movies.
- The King of Too Many Things is another gem from Laurel Snyder! Every time I thought I had read everything by her, I find another book, and I love it, too!
I am away this weekend at the AERA (American Educational Research Association) conference! I am hoping to learn some great new things to share with everyone! 🙂
This Week’s Expeditions
- We are slacking on our graphic novel reading, but my goal is to finish Date with Disaster with Trent this week!
- I am so excited to read the second book in The Explorers series, Reckless Rescue! If you read my review you know it ended with a TERRIBLE cliffhanger, so I could not wait to find out what happened!
- I still have one more Cucumber Quest book to read!
- My book clubs next virtual author visit is with Dan Gemeinhart, and I have read all but Some Kind of Courage and his newest, Good Dog, so I was happy to find Courage as an audiobook which I’ll start this week.
Upcoming Week’s Posts
Tuesday: Kellee’s Middle School In-Class Book Clubs and Recommended Titles
Wednesday: On Gull Beach by Jane Yolen
Thursday: Mary’s Monster by Lita Judge
Friday: I Love You, Michael Collins by Lauren Baratz-Logsted
Sunday: Author Guest Post from Darby Karchut, Author of Del Toro Moon
So, what are you reading?
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!