It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!
It’s Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journeys and now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. It is a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It’s also a great chance to see what others are reading right now…you just might discover the next “must-read” book!
Kellee and Jen, of Teach Mentor Texts, decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join us! We love this meme and think you will, too.
We encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting at least three of the other book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.
Last Week’s Posts
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
Last Week’s Journeys
School is back. That means less reading 🙁 But I was able to finish the amazing Miles Morales by Jason Reynolds! What an awesome introduction to the character with really important race issues also discussed. I cannot wait to share this one with my classes.
I finished listening to The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. This book will stick with me forever. I can’t get over how talented Sáenz is. He is one of my favorite authors of all time. It’s like he breathes life into his characters. This book will give teachers a lot to talk about.
I also reread Fair Isn’t Always Equal by Rick Wormeli. I like this book a lot because it forces teachers to (re)consider their views toward assessment, differentiation, and grading. The book covers a lot of topics like the “burning questions” we ask ourselves about grading and whether homework should count. I’m excited to use this book in my Methods class next semester because I think it will spur a lot of debates.
This Week’s Expeditions
- Currently reading: Unsouled by Neal Shusterman –YES YES YES! I’m so excited to continue this series. If you haven’t read it, it is a wonderful dystopian series (with some serious political undertones).
- Currently listening: Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley – Oh man! I love this book so much! I was struggling with my last audiobook, so I grabbed this one to help me get out of the listening rut, and it is working! I want to listen to it all the time. If you haven’t read this one, I definitely recommend it.
- Coming up: Gamer Squad 1 & 2 by Kim Harrington – I look forward to reading and reviewing these for UR.
- Coming up: Things That Surprise You by Jennifer Maschari – I look forward to reading and reviewing this one for UR.
- Coming up: Giant Pumpkin Suite by Melanie Heuiser Hill – I look forward to reading and reviewing this one for UR.
- Hope to get to s0on (will read it before it expires from the library!): Finding Perfect by Elly Schwartz – This one has come highly recommended by many of my friends on Twitter, and I finally got my reserved copy of it from the library.
- Hope to get to soon: Stealing Our Way Home by Cecelia Galante – I loved Summer of May by Galante and this one has come highly recommended by Michele, so I look forward to it.
I am listening to (and loving) The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock.
Upcoming Week’s Posts
Tuesday: Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award Announcement
Wednesday: Blog Tour with Review and Giveaway: The Real Us by Tommy Greenwald
Thursday: Ricki’s Adolescents’ Literature Class Syllabus
Friday: Vanished by James Ponti
Sunday: Author Guest Post
So, what are you reading?
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!