It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Sharing Picture Books, Early Readers, Middle Grade Books, and Young Adult Books for All Ages!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly blog hop co-hosted by Unleashing Readers and Teach Mentor Texts which focuses on sharing books marketed for children and young adults. It offers opportunities to share and recommend books with each other.
We encourage you to write your own post sharing what you’re reading, link up below, leave a comment, and support other IMWAYR bloggers by visiting and commenting on at least three of the other linked blogs.
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
During Hurricane Ian (yes, we’re doing okay! Our city and surrounding areas had a ton of flooding, but most have receded by now. There is one elementary school that was completely flooded, and they have to meet in a high school until it is safe to go back to their school, so that is devastating, but we overall were so much luckier than southwest Florida.), I read to keep myself busy. Thank you for all of the kind words of safety during it!
- Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller: On the surface, I really wanted to dig this book: swashbuckling adventure with a kick butt female lead! But there were some things that I just couldn’t ignore that made me just not be able to sing its praises: 1) the one LGBTQIAP+ character’s part in the story—he was just a plot point bait!; 2) potential rape/rape threats; 3) captive romance—blech! If there has to be kidnapping, it shouldn’t turn into a romance; 3) fantastical elements out of the blue! Why can’t she just be kick butt without these secret powers?!?! These inclusions took away the joy of this book for me… 🙁
- Shirley and Jamila Save the Summer by Gillian Goerz: This graphic novel is on Trent’s grade 3-5 state reading list, and he shared with me, when he finished, how much he thought I would like it, and I did! I loved the mystery as well as the dynamic between the two characters.
- American Royals by Katharine McGee: I am so glad I picked up this book! I know some reviews said they wanted more, but I loved the story–it is like reading the tabloids (though of a fake royal family). Moved directly onto the second one!
- Inheritance Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes: I can see why this book is so popular! I mean, billionaire will mystery and four handsome brothers?! Win-win! The reveal at the end was surprising, too, which is always lovely for a good mystery. Moved directly onto the second one of this series, too!
I am off this week–I’ll be back another week!
- Reading: Majesty (American Royals #2) by Katharine McGee
- Listening: The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games #2) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Tuesday: Unbreakable: The Spies Who Cracked the Nazis’ Secret Code by Rebecca E.F. Barone
Sunday: Author Guest Post by Stephen Savage, Author of Moonlight
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!