It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Sharing Picture Books, Early Readers, Middle Grade Books, and Young Adult Books for All Ages!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly blog hop co-hosted by Unleashing Readers and Teach Mentor Texts which focuses on sharing books marketed for children and young adults. It offers opportunities to share and recommend books with each other.
We encourage you to write your own post sharing what you’re reading, link up below, leave a comment, and support other IMWAYR bloggers by visiting and commenting on at least three of the other linked blogs.
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
Happy American Library Association Youth Media Awards Day!!!!
Congratulations to all of the winners and honors!
However, I also want to say:
As a member of an award committee, I just want to make sure that it is known how tough these decisions are. Creators, if you don’t find yourself on one of the lists tomorrow, please know that doesn’t negate the beauty of what you created. Bravo to all!
Now onto my reading: I love being on the Schneider Book Award Committee–it is an honor and a privilege. But I also love the months when I get to read whatever I want!! Since we made our decision on the 8th, I’ve been able to read books of my choice!
Here is what I read last week:
- I have wanted to read Dash and Lily for years and it was finally the Netflix show that pushed me to do so. My sister and I are watching it together, but I listened to the book first. Such a cute Christmas romance! I can see why so many people love it.
- Here We Are edited by Kelly Jensen explores feminism. I learned so much and it definitely made me think! I love Jensen’s books because they always have different perspectives and help me grow as a person.
- The Cousins by Karen McManus was a bit different than the other McManus books but it ends up being as twisted and intense in the end! Once again, a book I couldn’t put down! And I want more! What does that thing at the end mean?!?
- Speaking of books I couldn’t put down… That Weekend by Kara Thomas is WHOA! I’m still very mad at some people. I’m still shook at certain events. I still have questions! Kara Thomas does it again!
- From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks was more than I even knew I was getting into. I know I’ve mentioned it, but I don’t usually read summaries. I may read like a one sentence thing or some reviews, but I mostly listen to recommendations. Zoe Washington was a delightful book but also an intense book. It has SO much to unpack but it was also a thoroughly enjoyable read. A wonderful debut!
- And last but definitely not least: Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas. I can see why Angie felt like she needed to tell this story. Like THuG, the writing is beautiful, the story is real, and the feelings are everything. Another book I couldn’t put down this week.
Trent and I read 3 more books on the Sunshine State Junior list. We were already fans of Fox and Chick’s The Quiet Boat Ride, and we also liked T-Bone the Drone by Shanda McCloskey & When Grandma Gives You Lemonade by Jamie L.B. Deenihan, illustrated by Lorraine Rocha.
I am going to let Kellee shine this week because she’s worked so hard for this. Kellee, I am so proud of you.
Reading: Good Girl, Bad Blood by Holly Jackson
Listening: The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart
Reading with Trent: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Tuesday: Schneider Family Book Awards
Thursday: Nonfiction Writers Dig Deep: 50 Award-Winning Children’s Book Authors Share the Secret of Engaging Writing edited by Melissa Stewart
Sunday: Author Guest Post by Vivian McInerny, Author of The Whole Hole Story
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!