It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Sharing Picture Books, Early Readers, Middle Grade Books, and Young Adult Books for All Ages!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly blog hop co-hosted by Unleashing Readers and Teach Mentor Texts which focuses on sharing books marketed for children and young adults. It offers opportunities to share and recommend books with each other.
We encourage you to write your own post sharing what you’re reading, link up below, leave a comment, and support other IMWAYR bloggers by visiting and commenting on at least three of the other linked blogs.
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
- Before the Ever After by Jacqueline Woodson: “For as long as ZJ can remember, his dad has been everyone’s hero. As a charming, talented pro football star, he’s as beloved to the neighborhood kids he plays with as he is to his millions of adoring sports fans. But lately life at ZJ’s house is anything but charming. His dad is having trouble remembering things and seems to be angry all the time. ZJ’s mom explains it’s because of all the head injuries his dad sustained during his career.”
- This is My Brain in Love by I.W. Gregorio: “Jocelyn Wu has just three wishes for her junior year: To make it through without dying of boredom, to direct a short film with her BFF Priya Venkatram, and to get at least two months into the year without being compared to or confused with Peggy Chang, the only other Chinese girl in her grade. Will Domenici has two goals: to find a paying summer internship, and to prove he has what it takes to become an editor on his school paper. Then Jocelyn’s father tells her their family restaurant may be going under, and all wishes are off. Because her dad has the marketing skills of a dumpling, it’s up to Jocelyn and her unlikely new employee, Will, to bring A-Plus Chinese Garden into the 21st century (or, at least, to Facebook).What starts off as a rocky partnership soon grows into something more. But family prejudices and the uncertain future of A-Plus threaten to keep Will and Jocelyn apart. It will take everything they have and more, to save the family restaurant and their budding romance.”
- The Colossus of Roads by Christina Uss: “Eleven-year-old Rick Rusek is determined to improve the traffic conditions in Los Angeles– his parent’s failing delivery catering service, Smotch, depends on it: Traffic is a puzzle with one correct solution. And I’ve got to solve it! Rick has been studying maps and traffic patterns for years, and devises solutions to improve Los Angeles’ notoriously terrible traffic that he calls his Snarl Solutions. He has big ideas, but not enough resources– until his artistic friend, Mila brings him to a Girl Scout meeting.”
- Unicorn Rescue Society: The Madre de Aguas of Cuba by Adam Gidwitz and Emma Otheguy: I just love this series. The adventure is fun, the mythology is interesting and diverse, and the humor is on point. Overall just such a well-rounded series.
- With Trent:
- Bink and Gollie by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee: I loved this book when I read it years ago, and I was happy to share it with Trent!
- Happy Fell by Erica Perl: This book is on our state list, and Trent is a huge fan of this duo. He declared when we were done that we need to get more of the series.
- Avatar: The retelling of the show which has become one of Trent’s favorite things. We’re working to find more in the series as the library only has the first one.
- Fly Guy: One of Trent’s favorite series.
- Before She was Harriet by Lesa Cline-Ransome: One of the most beautifully written and illustrated biographies I’ve ever read.
- My Papi Has a Motorcycle by Isabel Quintero: I love this family, their town, and this book. It looks at the importance of tradition and change.
- Read alouds Trent and I listened to: Ghost Cat by Eve Bunting & The Night Before First Grade by Natasha Wing
- Trent has also started reading books on his own! It blows my mind what a reader he has become! I have started keeping track of books he reads on his own, and I think I’m going to start his own Goodreads…
Hi! I am taking a break this week and next because university classes are starting, and my kids are remote. It should be wild! (Don’t worry, we are still reading.)
Currently Reading: My Life in the Fish Tank by Barbara Dee
Currently Listening: The Extraordinaries by T.J. Klune
Tuesday: Neal Shusterman’s Visit to Kellee’s School
Sunday: Author Guest Post by Alane Adams, Author of Witch Wars
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!