It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?
Sharing Picture Books, Early Readers, Middle Grade Books, and Young Adult Books for All Ages!
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly blog hop co-hosted by Unleashing Readers and Teach Mentor Texts which focuses on sharing books marketed for children and young adults. It offers opportunities to share and recommend books with each other.
We encourage you to write your own post sharing what you’re reading, link up below, leave a comment, and support other IMWAYR bloggers by visiting and commenting on at least three of the other linked blogs.
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
- I am Every Good Thing by Derrick Barnes, illustrated by Gordon C. James: This book is every good thing. Perfection! It is an ode to everything that young Black boys truly are. Everyone is going to want this for their classroom, for all levels!
- Light It Up by Kekla Magoon: The companion to How It Went Down is just as intense and truth-telling as the first. Kekla Magoon is brilliant–highly recommended.
I also read I Am Every Good Thing by Derrick Barnes. This is a must-have for classrooms and libraries. It is beautifully done.
Kat and Juju by Kataneh Vahdani is a charming book. I look forward to sharing more this Thursday.
We listened to Animal Kingdom by Best Learning. This is a really great reading comprehension tool that Kellee and I will share tomorrow!
And…I must admit that my kids and I read 28 Clifford the Big Read Dog books this week. I am not exaggerating. My three-year-old is absolutely obsessed with Clifford. We have gotten all of these books from the library’s curbside pickup, and we watched several of the books via YouTube read-alouds. His six-year-old brother paid $4 to get a copy of one of the Clifford books that wasn’t available at the library. These books provide my children extreme joy, but their mom (me) sometimes analyzes (and points out) gender roles, representation concerns, etc. and is admittedly a bit tired.
- Reading: It’s My Life by Stacie Ramey
- Reading with Trent for one book club: The Magnificent Makers #1: How to Test a Friendship by Theanne Griffith, illustrated by Reggie Brown
- Reading with Trent for another book club: Ada Twist and the Perilous Pants by Andrea Beaty, illustrated by Dave Roberts
I am still reading The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander and How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X Kendi. I just found out my brother and future sister-in-law are reading them, too! I am glad to be book chatting with them. We are just about finished with The Magnificent Makers! YAY!
Tuesday: Book Reader Animal Kingdom from Best Learning
Thursday: Review and Giveaway!: Kat and Juju by Kataneh Vahdani
Saturday: Sofia’s Kids’ Corner: Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Sunday: Student Voices: Four Books I Love That Made Me Cry by Samia R., 8th Grade
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!