It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!
It’s Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journeys and now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. It is a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It’s also a great chance to see what others are reading right now…you just might discover the next “must-read” book!
Kellee and Jen, of Teach Mentor Texts, decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join us! We love this meme and think you will, too.
We encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting at least three of the other book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.
for winning the Garbage Island giveaway!
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
- I look forward to sharing Death and Douglas on Friday–make sure to come back and read the review. This is a book that your middle schoolers are looking for!
- We are on a Ryan T. Higgins kick. We read all 4 of the Bruce books, We Don’t Eat our Classmates, and Be Quiet! this week–both at bedtime, if we own the book, or as a read-along ebook through Hoopla from our public library.
- Trent is also is all about Nightmare Before Christmas right now, so because I am who I am, I found a book also.
This week, we are talking about mental health and adolescence in my Adolescents’ Literature course. Students are reading Oshiro’s Anger is a Gift, Colbert’s Little & Lion, and Whaley’s Highly Illogical Behavior. Last night, I reread Highly Illogical Behavior to refresh my memory. I am really excited to talk across these three texts!
I read Deborah Freedman’s new book, Carl and the Meaning of Life. It is such a clever book. It perfectly balances traditional picture books with their repetition and innovation in its message.
- Still listening to the BRILLIANT Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. I highly recommend it to everyone.
- At bedtime we’re at Chapter 8 of Winnie the Pooh. It isn’t an every night read because sometimes Trent asks for other awesome books, but we are chugging through.
- I’m lucky enough to be hosting David Levithan on a roundtable during NCTE, so I am finishing up his A series.
- In a couple of weeks I am reviewing Children of Jubilee, the final book in the series, so I will jump on that next.
- Up Next: Escape from Aleppo by N.H. Senzai or Just Like Jackie by Lindsey Stoddard
I’ll be rereading A.S. King’s Me and Marvin Gardens for my class next week. I am also hopeful that I will finish a few other books that I’ve started recently. 🙂
Tuesday: Video about Lexiles with Leigh Hall, Professor at University of Wyoming
Wednesday: Earthrise: Apollo 8 and the Photo that Changed the World by James Gladstone
Thursday: Sun! One in a Billion by Stacey McAnulty
Friday: Death and Douglas by J.W. Ockler
Sunday: Author Guest Post by Alane Adams, Author of The Blue Witch
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!