It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? From Picture Books to YA!
It’s Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme started by Sheila at Book Journeys and now hosted by Kathryn at The Book Date. It is a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It’s also a great chance to see what others are reading right now…you just might discover the next “must-read” book!
Kellee and Jen, of Teach Mentor Texts, decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join us! We love this meme and think you will, too.
We encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting at least three of the other book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.
Last Week’s Posts
**Click on any picture/link to view the post**
Last Week’s Journeys
- The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shusterman is such a well-crafted roller coaster of twists and turns and suspense and complications and mayhem and BRILLIANCE. It is so good. Sad that I’m putting the final book on hold, but I will read it soon!
- I loved Giant Pumpkin Suite and Things That Surprise You! I am reviewing both this week, so stop by on Wednesday and Friday 🙂
- Because I had so many students reading the 2nd Mighty Jack book, I felt I needed to reread it. Mighty Jack and the Goblin King is a perfect continuation of the first Mighty Jack story yet is so unique in its adventures. Also, the cliffhanger at the end may just kill some of my students as they wait for the next book!
Henry and I have read It’s Not Jack and the Beanstalk by Josh Funk every night since I received the book two weeks ago. He laughs out loud every time we read it. This is a great book, and I am very excited to write the full review Thursday of next week. 🙂
Here Comes Teacher Cat by Deborah Underwood is another recent favorite in our house. I like how certain words repeat across the pages. It’s helping Henry learn certain words by sight. This makes me very happy!
The new wordless picture book Owl Bat Bat Owl by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick is a great story to explore. It’s about a family of bats and a family of owls who aren’t sure if they can co-exist on the same tree branch.
I re-read American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. Gosh, I love this book. I am very excited to talk about it with my students on Wednesday!
This Week’s Expeditions
- Currently Listening: Guys! Knockout Games is getting INTENSE! I don’t listen to my audiobooks on the weekends, but I so bad want to know what is going on. If you haven’t read this, I say it is a must read. It gives a look inside getting sucked into gang-like activities.
- Currently Reading: Scythe by Neal Shusterman. Well, I technically haven’t started it yet, but it is what I am going to start. It is our Teacher Book Club book for September. Can’t wait!
I am still enjoying listening to The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock.
I also restarted The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. I was loving it earlier in the year, but I got interrupted with my dissertation.
Upcoming Week’s Posts
Tuesday: Ten Favorite Quotes from Books from Habiba, 9th Grade
Wednesday: Giant Pumpkin Suite by Melanie Heuiser Hill
Thursday: #mustreadin2017 Fall Update
Friday: Review and Giveaway!: Things That Surprise You by Jennifer Maschari
So, what are you reading?
Link up below and go check out what everyone else is reading. Please support other bloggers by viewing and commenting on at least 3 other blogs. If you tweet about your Monday post, tag the tweet with #IMWAYR!