Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because The Broke and Bookish are particularly fond of lists (as are we!). Each week a new Top Ten list topic is given and bloggers can participate.
Today’s Topic: Unfortunate Character Names
1. Ponyboy from The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
Or perhaps I should bring up Soda Pop?
2. Amber Brown from Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon by Paula Danziger
The title of the book says it all.
3. Peeta from The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
And he bakes bread.
4. Hermione Granger from The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I don’t think I need to say more.
5. Tea Cake from Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
Every time I read this book in college (four times in four different classes), I couldn’t handle this guy’s name.
1. Po from Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I love Po, and I know this is just a nickname, but it just makes me think of a Teletubby!
2. Newt from The Maze Runner by James Dashner
Yes, another nickname, but it is oh so ridiculous
3. Beezus Quimby from Ramona by Beverly Cleary
I actually quite like this name, but it is another nickname gone astray.
4. Katniss from the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
Many of the names in this series are quite odd. Peeta, Katniss, Haymitch, and Effie probably take the cake.
5. So many from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
I love Harry and all of his friends, but Rowling had quite an imagination when it came to names! Hermoine, Albus, Mundungus, Rubeus, and Cuthbert are just a few.
What characters’ names did you find to be unfortunate?