Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. The feature was created because The Broke and Bookish are particularly fond of lists (as are we!). Each week a new Top Ten list topic is given and bloggers can participate.
Today’s Topic: Top Ten “Gateway” Authors/Books
These are authors/books that got us into reading, got us into reading a new genre, or some other gateway into a new reading experience.
1. The Boxcar Children series
I read every book over and over again. I should also give a shout-out to the Nancy Drew series, which taught me to make predictions very well.
2. Wonder by R. J. Palacio
This book showed me how brilliant middle grade (and younger) fiction can be, and how it can be accessible for adults.
3. Looking for Alaska by John Green
This was the first book that I read in a YA class as a student. Wow. It prompted a flurry of reading for me.
4. Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I didn’t think I liked fantasy before I read this book. It taught me that I LOVE fantasy!
5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I read this as a freshman and thought it was okay. Rereading it as an adult taught me how incredible rereading texts can be!
1. Anthony Horowitz
The Stormbreaker series helped me realize again, after my literature degree, that reading can be fun.
2. Among the Hidden then Hunger Games
I loved The Giver (my favorite book ever!), but it wasn’t until Among the Hidden then Hunger Games that I jumped into the dystopian fad and read as many as I could.
3. Mo Willems
He definitely shows that picture books can be brilliant (and usually hilarious!).
4. Baby-Sitter’s Club series
These were my gateway book when I was younger–I don’t know if I would be the same reader I am today without it.
5. Betsy books
These are the books that my mom read to us at bedtime. I thank her and Betsy for helping me be a reader.
What authors or books are your gateway?
Subscribe via Email
Recently Popular Posts
- Special Announcement: 2014 Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award…
- Top Books for Struggling/Reluctant Middle School Readers
- Blog Tour with Exclusive Excerpt: Minion by John David…
- Journey by Aaron Becker
- Top Ten Tuesday: Characters I Would Want with me on a…
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Schneider Family Book Award 10th Anniversary: Celebrating…
- Top Ten Tuesday: Our Favorite Pairings of YA Books and…
- The Nazi Hunters by Neal Bascomb
- Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Movies (For Their Great Stories)